Some Math Thoughts

As most of you know, I am all about getting the most "bang for my buck" when it comes to teaching.  I really want the kids to be doing most of the work, while I just "impart the knowledge".  So when I plan, I try to use every resource I have that will enable me to do as much as I possibly can with them.

And, as most of you also know, when it comes to math I SWEAR by Calendar Math and Math Homework.  Using my time to do the computation stuff in a spiral way really, truly frees me up to do more math thinking in class (which really, isn't that what math is???)  I can honestly say that after implementing these two programs in my room, I never, ever, ever worry about math instruction.  Ever.  I don't worry that I won't get to everything before the state test.  I don't worry that the kids won't "get it". Because, you know what?  They always do. 

I really can't shout this from the rooftops enough.  Calendar and HW have saved my sanity when it comes to math.

OK...so enough of the shouting.  I know that many of you have joined me on the Calendar/HW journey this year...and I can't tell you how amazing I feel about that.  Thank you for making me realize that I am not the only one who sees the value in this.

So with that, I wanted to let you know that Quarter THREE of 5th grade is ready!  You can get it here.

And since it is so heavy with customary and metric conversions, I made this little poster/journal chart for you to use.  It is very simple, and can be posted in your room and then put in the students' math journals for a ready-reference.  You can download it FREE here.

Are you using Calendar or Math HW?  How is it going?

10 comments

  1. You know that I love your Calendar Math. I swear by it, too! Thanks for the great little chart. Have a great week, Stephanie :)

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Anxiously awaiting the 4th grade version! I looooove this math homework and so do my students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4th grade is next on my list :) Need to give my brain a teeny rest first ;) haa haa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I gotta tell ya, I'm super excited to see our math scores on the MAP at the end of this month since using calendar and homework. It's hard because I have 4th and 5th and the range is HUGE in terms of where they are....so we do the 4th grade homework and 5th grade calendar and I can't wait to have REAL PROOF (test scores) to show that its working :)

      Delete
  4. Your calendar math was such an inspiration to me...we now have our morning math meetings....I'm sure not nearly as great as you do it but it's a start:) I am a true believer that this has changed my kiddos...we just did county assessments before Christmas break and my kiddos scores were great...AND it's stuff we haven't even "gotten to" in the text...thanks for changing sooooo many lives:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie--I'd really love to do your calendar math. We have a daily practice item provided by our district that it aligned with our state test, but I think calendar math would be so much more productive. Hmmm..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your math homework!!! I have seen so much progress with my students. I plan on adding the calendar math next year. I purchased it, but couldn't get me team on board with it...sad. They were worried about getting to the daily lesson/instruction. If you had time and were so inclined it would be great for you to email what your instruction looks like and how you plan it around these two wonderful ideas. I think then I could get their buy in. They are going to be using your spiral homework next year, after having seen the success my students are having. Thank you so much for creating this wonderful product!!!

    Stephanie
    mcafeestph26@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving both-I need to be better at calendar math and making sure I do it. My schedule is so crazy with RTI and ELD time...I, too, would love to see your daily schedule, if possible. I rearranged my schedule over break so I plan to add in calendar math the last half hour of the day (and try to pull some kiddos for math intervention while the others are working). I love the homework, but we are soo limited in copies! I am hoping they give us more after break. :-( I was doing your lightning rod math ideas with my 4th graders daily, but cannot anymore because of copies shortage. Geez, would they limit people in other professions to their must have supplies???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely LOVE the math homework and quizzes. My students are becoming so much more confident in their abilities. At the beginning of the year they really struggled, now most are only getting 1 or 2 wrong on their homework and they are thrilled!! (Me too!!) I attempted Calendar Math at the beginning of the year but they were having so much difficulty with it and I was always running out of time that I dropped it. I think they will be much better able to do calendar math now that they are becoming much more independent so I'm thinking of trying to add it back in. Thanks so much for all your work on these products - they are making a big difference with my kids!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear what you think about what is posted :)